This semester, I was taking a class that dealt with a lot of IT and computer work. It was really challenging stuff that I had never had to do before, like coding and learning the back end of how computers work. On one of our tests, I thought I did well, but I ended up failing the test. I've never really failed a college class test before so I was pretty upset. I learned, however, that it's not the end of the world and that there are always other opportunities to bring your grade back up and do better.
I think a lot of us are afraid of failing. We see it as if we're meant to do something or be good at something, we should be able to do it perfectly the first time around. But what people don't realize is that failure is what makes us better at the things we're trying to do. We wouldn't have any success if we never failed. I, personally take failure pretty hard. I'm very hard on myself and it takes a few days to work through those emotions and realize that everything is still going to be ok. I think that this class has helped me see that.
Hey Hayley,
ReplyDeleteI'm a finance major, so I have never had to take any sort of IT classes, but I know for a fact that those sorts of classes dealing with coding are some of the hardest that UF offers. I know that must have sucked, but I am glad that your mentality kept you going! You clearly know that one test doesn't define any part of you, and you learned from it so you will definitely do better on the next one! I agree, failing is hard and no one likes to fail. However, it is how we are able to learn and keep going.
Hey Hayley!
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate to the feeling of fear when it comes to the idea of failing a class. I personally have never been a math person and I have always struggled with learning and understanding mathematics as a whole. This has resulted in me having to work extremely hard and be diligent when it comes to math classes, or else I know that I will fail. Which is a very scary feeling sometimes.